At Children’s Discovery Center, our Reggio Emilia philosophy is about more than classroom lessons. It encourages a hands-on approach to learning that extends beyond the classroom and into everyday life! Now that spring has finally sprung, it’s the perfect time to put this approach into action by making lasting family memories in the great outdoors. As the sun shines and the weather warms, engage your child in these fun and educational at-home adventures. Here are six spring activities that you can try out with your child:
1. Reading Together
Through shared story time, parents can spark conversations with their children about characters, plotlines and themes that promote language development, critical thinking and creativity. Here are a few examples of books that you can read together:
- “God’s Very Good Idea” by Trillia Newbell – This book teaches children that God created all people in his image and that we are all unique and special. It also emphasizes the importance of loving and respecting others, regardless of their differences.
- Interactive books with pop-ups, touch-and-feel elements, and pull-tabs, like “Where’s Spot?” by Eric Hill.
- Educational books on topics like animals, science and history.
2. Playing Together
Playtime is an opportunity for parents to participate in imaginative play, physical play and games that teach important problem-solving, social and creative skills. Some examples of games to play with your child include:
- Board games like “Candy Land” and “Chutes and Ladders.”
- Outdoor games like tag, hopscotch and hide-and-seek.
- Imaginative play with toys like dolls, action figures and play kitchens.
3. Arts and Crafts
Arts and crafts can be both enjoyable and educational for children, as they can help develop fine motor skills, encourage creativity and allow for self-expression. Here are some exciting and creative arts and crafts ideas that you can do with your child:
- Painting with watercolors, finger paints or acrylic paints.
- Creating collages with magazines or natural elements, such as leaves and flowers.
- Making jewelry with beads, string and other materials.
4. Music and Dance
Music and dance provide a lively and exciting means to promote children’s physical development, brain development, creativity and emotional expression. To incorporate these elements into your child’s educational routine, try these activities:
- Singing nursery rhymes and children’s songs, like “Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star” and “The Wheels on the Bus.”
- Playing instruments like the tambourine, maracas and piano.
- Dancing to different types of music like classical, pop and hip-hop and then discussing how each style makes your child feel.
5. Volunteering Together
Participating in community service as a family is an excellent way for parents to foster childhood learning and development while positively impacting the community. By volunteering at local organizations, parents can teach their children about the value of empathy, social responsibility and giving back. Engaging in volunteering activities with your child is fun and educational. Here are some examples of volunteering activities that parents can do with their children:
- Helping at a local food bank or soup kitchen.
- Participating in a charity walk or run.
- Visiting a nursing home or hospital to spend time with patients.
6. Cooking and Baking
Cooking and baking are exciting and instructive ways to involve your child in the kitchen. Parents can help their children learn essential life skills, foster healthy eating habits and introduce math and science concepts. There are various cooking and baking activities that parents can do with their children, including:
- Making homemade pizza with healthy toppings like vegetables and lean proteins.
- Baking and decorating cookies or cupcakes from scratch.
- Cooking simple dishes like scrambled eggs, pancakes and grilled cheese sandwiches.
These activities allow you and your child to bond while exploring the world around you. By incorporating the Reggio Emilia approach into your everyday life, you can promote your child’s curiosity, creativity and overall development.
Premier Childcare Makes a Difference
At Children’s Discovery Center, our personalized approach ensures your child receives the best possible care while achieving academic and personal success. Whether you’re a working parent or simply seeking an enriching environment for your child, we are here to support you. Contact us today to learn more about our services and schedule a visit to one of our state-of-the-art discovery centers.